- Fact 2 - Alcohol always contain an
- Fact 3 - The word 'Alcohol' derives
from the Arabic word 'al-kuhul' meaning powdered antimony.
- Fact 4 - The liver changes alcohol
into the highly toxic substance acetaldehyde which is then
turned into the harmless acetate and excreted through urine,
breath and sweat.
- Fact 5 - Alcohol misuse can be
directly related to deaths from certain types of diseases, such
as cirrhosis of the liver
- Fact 6 - Vitamin deficiencies,
sexual problems, and ulcers also result from long term alcohol
- Fact 7 - Various circulatory
disease such as strokes and heart disease also result from long
term alcohol abuse.
- Fact 8 - Nearly 20% of drivers aged
under 21 who died in motor vehicle crashes had been drinking
- Fact 9 - People who can drink
ALCOHOL heavily without becoming intoxicated have probably
developed a tolerance for alcohol, which can indicate the onset
rehab can always give you the help you deserve if this
becomes a problem.
- Fact 10 - Binge drinking is
generally defined as the consumption of 5 or more drinks on 1
- Fact 11 - The word 'Vodka' derives
from the Russian word 'voda' meaning water. Vodka is made using
rye, corn, or potatoes
- Fact 12 - Rum is an alcoholic
liquor which was originally distilled from a fermented cane
product such as molasses or sugar cane
- Fact 13 - The word 'Brandy' is a
shortened version of Brandywine and derives from the Dutch word
'brandewijn' - 'brant' meaning distilled and 'wijn' meaning
wine. Brandy was originally distilled from wine or fermented
fruit juice, such as apples
- Fact 14 - The word 'Gin' derives
from the Old French word 'geneva' meaning juniper. Gin was
originally distilled or redistilled from rye or other and adding
juniper berries as flavoring. Other flavoring or aromatics then
added such as anise, caraway seeds, or angelica root
- Fact 15 - The word 'Whiskey'
derives from the from the Gaelic for meaning “water of life”.
Whiskey is distilled from a fermented mash of grain such as
malt, corn, rye, wheat or barley.
- Fact 16 - Tequila is a colorless
intoxicating liquor made by fermenting and distilling the sweet
sap of the blue agave cactus
- Fact 17 - Bacardi is a rum based
drink from Cuba and made od a secret recipe that includes
filtering the rum through charcoal to remove any impurities.
- Fact 18 - Liqueurs are sweet
alcohol drinks which are flavoured with a variety of different
ingredients and come in a variety of different colors. The name
derives from the Latin word 'liquifacere' which means to melt or
dissolve - the flavorings used to make liqueurs are dissolved.
- Fact 19 - All liqueurs have
distinctive flavorings added. Liqueur drinks might be flavored
from a variety of flavors from fruits, herbs, spices, flowers,
seeds, nuts, roots, plants, barks, eggs and cream
If you have an
alcohol problem, consider seeking help at
alcohol detox centers now
so you can avoid the effects of long term alcohol abuse.