- Fact 2 - The surface of the earth
is approximately 70.9%
and 29.1% land
- Fact 3 - The five oceans are the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic
Ocean, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, and Arctic Ocean
- Fact 4 - The oceans have an affect
on the weather and temperature
- Fact 5 - A sea is a division of an
ocean or a large body of salt water partially enclosed by land.
The largest seas are the South China Sea, the Caribbean Sea, and
the Mediterranean Sea.
- Fact 6 - More than half of the area
covered by oceans is over 3,000 metres (9,800 ft) deep.
- Fact 7 - Geologically, an ocean is
an area of oceanic crust covered by water
- Fact 8 - Life within the ocean
evolved 3 billion years prior to life on land.
- Fact 9 - Ocean currents transfer
heat from the tropics to the polar regions
- Fact 10 - Ocean currents also
transfer warm or cold air and rain to coastal regions, where
winds may carry them inland
- Fact 11 - The average temperature
of all oceans is about 39 degrees F
- Fact 12 - There are mountains,
volcanoes, and deep
trenches in the ocean
- Fact 13 - Tides change twice a day
as the oceans rise and fall due to the the pull of the sun and
moon on our earth.
- Fact 14 - Half the communications
between nations use underwater cables
- Fact 15 - The oceans of the
World contain nearly 20
million tons of gold
- Fact 16 - The Moon's gravitational
influence produces the ocean tides