- Fact 2 - Bethlehem was in Judea
which was a Roman province
- Fact 3 - Mary and Joseph had to
travel approximately 90 miles from Nazareth, in Galilee, to
Bethlehem, in Judea, in order to take part in the Roman census.
- Fact 4 - Jesus was born nearly two
thousand years ago, long before accurate records were kept or
birth certificates given.
- Fact 5 - Nobody knows for sure on
which day Jesus was born. The 25th December was chosen in order
to substitute the Christian festival for the Roman festival of
- Fact 6 - According to the old Roman
date system the year of the birth of Jesus Christ has been
suggested as in the year of Rome 749 this dating system was
later replaced by the Anno Domini era.
- Fact 7 - The Nativity was placed as
- Fact 8 - story of the Three
Wise Men who played an important part in the story of the
Nativity is commonly referred to as the Adoration of the Magi.
- Fact 9 - Jesus' childhood home was
the town of Nazareth in Galilee.
- Fact 10 - Jesus was baptized by
John the Baptist. Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist, was a
"cousin" or "relative" of Mary the mother of Jesus
- Fact 11 - Jesus started to preach
when he was about 30 years of age.
- Fact 12 - The 12 disciples were the
students of Jesus during his ministry
- Fact 13 - These disciples of Jesus
are referred to as Apostles after the death of Jesus, when they
moved on to become missionaries.
- Fact 14 - The most famous teachings
come from the Sermon on the Mount, which contains the Lord's
Prayer. Jesus used parables, such as the Parable of the Prodigal
Son and the Parable of the Good Samaritan in his teachings. A
parable is a short, succinct story that illustrates a moral or
- Fact 15 - He performed many
miracles. A miracle is an unexpected, supernatural event
attributed to divine intervention.
- Fact 16 - Jesus foretold his own
death and resurrection
- Fact 17 - He exposed the
hypocrisies of the scribes and Pharisees in Jerusalem.
- Fact 18 - He was betrayed and
apprehended in the garden of Gethsemane
- Fact 19 - He had a series of trials
before Caiaphas (in Jerusalem), before the council (in
Jerusalem) from where he was sent to Pontius Pilate who referred
to Herod Antipas and finally tried in front of Pilate.
- Fact 20 - He was crucified at
Golgotha, Calvary just outside Jerusalem
- Fact 21 - He arose from the dead
- Fact 22 - He ascended to heaven in
Bethany, Galilee (the Ascension)